As businesses increasingly utilize technology in their operations, it is essential to consider cybersecurity threats. Unfortunately, no industry is immune to data breaches, cyberattacks and hackers, but implementing protective measures can help reduce your risks. Below are some strategies to consider. Another key aspect of cyber risk management involves securing adequate cyber liability insurance.
The team at US E & O Brokers can discuss your risk profile and help you set the policy that best suits your needs. Contact us today for more information.
7 Cybersecurity Tips to Consider
There are several techniques businesses can utilize to help strengthen their cybersecurity defenses, including the following:
- Create and disseminate clear cybersecurity policies. Having up-to-date cybersecurity policies and procedures can serve as the first line of protection against cyber risks. Ensuring all levels of staff are aware of proper computer use and access protocols can help ensure their actions are in line with best practices.
- Properly train employees. User mistakes can lead to data breaches and losses. Having extensive and ongoing training regarding proper device use can help reduce the risks of losing valuable information through errors.
- Implement multi-factor authentication. Employees utilize several devices to retrieve data. Instituting multi-factor authentication (MFA) can help ensure only authorized personnel are accessing your company’s information.
- Use complex passwords and regularly change them. Using hard-to-guess and complex passwords can help restrict unwanted users from logging into secure systems. Regularly changing them can also add a layer of protection.
- Update software. Routinely updating software can help fix vulnerabilities. Some systems may automatically update, while others need to be updated manually. Staying current on updates can help reduce weaknesses in these programs.
- Use virtual private networks (VPNs). VPNs encrypt data and can help keep information safe when employees remotely access your business’s network. This can be useful when workers log in from their home or other public locations.
- Use antivirus software. Antivirus software can detect and remove malicious software or viruses from computer systems. Making it available for work computers and personal computers used for work purposes can help ensure these programs keep your business’s data secure.
Other techniques may be helpful, and each business may employ different strategies to best address their exposures. It is also essential to regularly conduct risk assessments and backup data to address the ongoing threat of data breaches.
Cyber Liability Insurance
US E & O Brokers is an independent insurance company in Midland, Texas. We can help discuss your risks and provide information on cyber liability insurance, which may help cover expenses and recovery costs associated with data breaches or cyberattacks. Contact us today for more information.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal or medical advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.